Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Random Wander

Ryan asked me if I wanted to join him on his jaunt around the neighborhood this morning after I dropped Sam off at daycare. We headed out around 9:30 on his 0.75 mile loop. My legs were tired, and I struggled to keep up with him for the first lap. Eventually my legs seemed to wake up, but I still felt a bit like I was running through quicksand. Ryan only lasted another lap before calling it a day. I know he is really frustrated that the pain in his knee isn't really getting any better. Being injured sure is no fun, and I do not envy him as he tries to get back to running pain-free. I really hope things turn around soon for him. Poor guy.

After he stopped, I continued on, not really having a route in mind, but planning to get in 6 miles. I ran out towards the Mt. Ararat fields and up the trail to Mountain Road, off Highland Green. The snow was thin enough, packed enough and tacky enough that I was doing OK in my 295s, although I was taking it easy and being cautious without any screws in my shoes. I decided I didn't really want to be on the roads, so I ran holes 4, 5 and 6 along the cart path, which were mostly packed snow and a bit of bare ground, and then hopped onto the Heath Trail. The Heath Trail was a bit icy, as I would have expected but not too bad. Once I hit the road again, I turned left and got back on the cart path at the end of hole 4, returning home by running over Mt. Ararat. Amazingly, despite the random wander, I hit 6.0 miles right near the mailboxes. It was a slow run, and I am definitely feeling the past few days, but it was sort of fun to head out without a plan and just piece things together as I went along. That said, I am definitely looking forward to a day off tomorrow! (And likely a snow day too, it sounds like!)

1 comment:

unstrung said...

tentatively hopeful that this blog indicates no apparent cheerios/coffee/laundry issues/explosions today. hallelujah. :>

glad it was a good run, i dig the random thing sometimes (a lot? maybe too much?) too. i really hope ryan's knee/etc are better soon. sending vibes.