Friday, February 24, 2012

Runnin' and Sleepin'

Sam slept from 7:15 pm until 5:40 am this morning without waking up once. Since I can count on one hand the number of times she has slept for over 10 hours in a row without a wake-up, this is like a little miracle, so hurray! But did I manage to sleep through my night (I think I was likely asleep by 9:30 so I could have gotten in 8 hours)? Nope! Guess I need to work on that! My body is just so conditioned to getting up in the night that I was up at 1:30 to pee, and then was woken up around 4:00 by Ronnie, who wanted to get under the covers and sleep next to me. This must have woken up Gigi, as she came up soon after and proceeded to try and curl up on top of the blanket right on top of Ronnie. After a bit of jostling, everyone settled in and I fell back to sleep. Oh well. Despite not sleeping through the night myself, I am very happy that Sam managed to do so! As for whether or not she will repeat the performance again tonight remains to be seen, but at least I know it's possible! She is obviously getting pretty tired out by all the activity in her new room at daycare, so who knows, maybe now this whole sleeping thing will begin to become the norm instead of a surprise! I can dream, can't I? :-)

I wasn't sure how the weather was going to be this morning, but the storm they were predicting simply never showed up, so I headed out after dropping Sam off at daycare for a run. Temps were hovering right around freezing, the skies were overcast and the breeze was non-existent. I hit the powerlines for the extended Homeplace loop, getting in 6 miles in 58:xx. The trails were a mixed bag. I wore my screwshoes and certainly didn't need them for all of the route, but they were useful on the numerous stretches of ice along the way. I had to run up in the blueberry bushes down near the end of the powerlines, as the trail was one big long deep puddle, covered with a very thin layer of ice. There were lots of chickadees out singing, and I got a nice surprise at the junction of the powerlines and the trail that crosses Homeplace - the fenced area that was enclosed this summer now houses 3 alpacas! They were cute things, and I stopped to watch them for a bit before continuing on. Neat!

No comments: