Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Meadow Cross 8 (And a few Sam photos too)

Oh Meadow Cross. You seem so ideal. A nice 8 mile road loop from home. Through bucolic farmlands. On roads with wide shoulders. With nice rolling terrain. And yet, I cannot come to love you. I have tried. And today, I tried again. I set out around 1:00 on a nice spring-like day, with no set pace in mind. The first three miles were lovely. I ran up past the Bisson farm and enjoyed the views down to the river. The sun was bright and I was warm. But then, just before mile 3, I turned the corner and the wind hit me in the face. And it didn't relent until I was done. It tried to push me back down the hills. And it exacerbated the road grit that the trucks churned up along Rt. 196. I could taste the grit on my teeth. Traffic streamed past. Despite the wide shoulders, a big tractor trailer honked right as he was going by me, practically scaring the living daylights out of me. I had to come to a dead stop down near the mall, while a driver hemmed and hawed over whether to pull out in front of me or not. Yes, I saw a beautiful red-tailed hawk circling above the fields along the way, and you are a lovely loop in which to get in a good paced run (I managed just over 8:00 pace for the 8 miles), but I don't know that I'll be running you for a while. It's not you, it's me. Or maybe it's the other way around. But either way, I think we're taking a break.

~

My parent's visit is coming to an end this week. We have so enjoyed having them here, and are sad to see them go. Sam has had lots of Neenie and Pippi time, Ryan and I have loved having help with Sam, and we've seen a lot of Kristen and Morgan too. Sam and Morgan are quite the pair. Needless to say, it has been a lot of fun!

The never-ending quest for the perfect Neenie and grandkid photo :-)

Watching the pizza be made at Siano's

Tops! (at the Brunswick Winter Market)

Cousins

Cheezzzzz!

Kristen and the girls

Snackin'

Taking a walk in the woods

Neenie and Sam watching the water flow

Lunchtime

Sam is perfecting her "smile!" face

Who can eat a bigger bite of cereal?


1 comment:

unstrung said...

oh my, sounds like one of those runs that we all dread...but at least you killed it with the sweet pace. i think a lot of us are doing more road time than usual...and i imagine i am not the only one looking forward to slightly less deadly footing on trails.

all the sam & friends pics are fab. :>