Monday, February 20, 2012

Icy

Sam and I headed over to Mom and Dad's this morning (OK, really Keith & Cordelia's, which is where they've been house/cat watching the past week) and I dropped Sam off there and headed out for a run. Keith's house is right off the path to the Commons, and I was excited to check it out, as I hadn't been there in a while. Well, despite the fact that I normally love running in the Commons, today's run just wasn't all that much fun. The trails were literally 80% ice. And the ice covered the whole trail, meaning it wasn't even practical to tiptoe around the edges, as that just meant jumping through the brush and bushwacking. The rest of the trail was 18% really hard-packed, firm snow with about 2% being bare ground. I was wearing my screwshoes, yes, but I needed crampons on this stuff, especially the side-hill singletrack. Nothing was helping me there. I got in a slow 4 miles and called it a day. That was more than enough for me on the ice!

After a quick change, and a quick tromp out in the backyard for Sam and Pippi, we headed to Freeport, where we met up with Kristen and Morgan at Fresh Batch for a delicious lunch and some fun indoor playtime for the girls in the little playarea they have set up in the back of the restaurant. It was the perfect way to get out some energy before naptime!

1 comment:

pathfinder said...

I'm almost old enough to start having naptime again......I miss it