Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cathance 8

I am struggling a little finding my mid-week running mojo. Which is an issue, as it is when I need to do my long runs. The problem isn't time. I actually do have the time at this point. I just am not super excited about doing all my long runs alone. I had envisioned having the chance to run long with Ryan through these winter months, but obviously, that hasn't panned out. Ah well. I'll snap out of it. But it didn't happen today. So, I ran my shorter mid-week run this morning instead, heading into the Cathance for a bit of a wander and the hope for some rejuvination courtesy of Mother Nature. I'll get in my 16 on the roads tomorrow. And that will be fine too. I never said I would actually stick to the exact schedule I pencilled into my training log anyway :-)

A lot of people have been out using the trails that wind their way through the woods and along the river. And in some spots, it was really good running. In others, it was downright treacherous, with icy single-track traversing sidehills right along the river's edge. I spent a lot of time tromping through the woods bushwacking in an attempt to stay upright! And the rough footing was making my right ankle a bit unhappy. Just enough to be a bother. Needless to say, it was a slow 8 miles. But I will say, it was beautiful out. The ice formations along the banks were gorgeous, like thin layers of sparkling lace. The sun was out, and it was warm. There were lots of tracks to ponder, bunnies and squirrels hopping across the trail, deer making their own twisty trails through the evergreens. And with views like this, how can I really complain?

The perfect spot to stop, have a snack and take in the view.




2 comments:

Scout said...

Beautiful!

pathfinder said...

That is beautiful.....I know what you mean about running this winter....I have been struggling for more than one reason but feel if I had a little more "mojo" I would find more ways to squeeze in the long runs..