Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Effort

When I was thinking back on Sunday's race, I wondered if I had put in the right effort. I didn't collapse at the finish. Or puke. In fact, I talked with Erin for a few minutes right at the finish line and then went immediately out for a very slow 1 mile cool-down. And I felt fine. So, did I push enough? Well, today when I finally got out for a nice, spring-like 5 miler on the powerline trails this afternoon, I could finally say yes. I put in the right effort, and pushed myself on Sunday. My legs were tired. My feet hurt (maybe from the pavement pounding?). It was all I could do to get in 5 miles at 9:45 pace. But there was satisfaction in knowing that the tiredness came from a good race.

Trail conditions were variable. Where the sun was hitting the trail, dirt and mud are showing through. But in the shade, and in the woods under the trees, things were packed down pretty nicely, and there was some decent running. However, if this wacky weather keeps up, the snow is going to be melted everywhere pretty quickly. I imagine there will be some interesting environmental consequences of having a practically non-existent snowpack as of mid-February. Hopefully winter will decide it really should come visit sometime soon, if only so we don't end up spending the rest of the year in drought. Plus, it would be nice to get in some good skiing, and a bit more snowshoeing and some more solid winter trail runs too. Speaking of, the 2nd Bradbury snowshoe race is this coming Sunday. Will it be a snowshoe race? Or a trail race? I'm planning to hit the Brad tomorrow morning to run a loop of the course to see how things look, and will tack on some extra to get in a nice midweek run of 10 miles. Plus, it's Wednesday and Edna & Lucy's will be open for a post-run treat! Hurray.

2 comments:

unstrung said...

I can't even imagine you running at a 9:45 pace. Next time you are post-race/super sore/on the brink of death, may I come run with you? I might almost be able to keep up if I bolt the whole way!! :D Tee hee... Congrats again on an awesome race last weekend!

Jamie Anderson said...

I'm beginning to feel like Stan from Southpark, and running is my Wendy...

Nice run. Trails out my way were the same as you described. The winter that wasn't.