Thursday, January 1, 2009

Out with the Old, In with the New

Happy New Year everyone!

I must admit I went to bed way before the ball dropped, but it's always nice to wake up to a new year, looking toward the future with hope and with a blank training log on the table, just waiting to be filled with the year's adventures.

Looking back on 2008, it was a great year. I feel lucky to have the best husband in the world (at least for me!), to be surrounded by good friends and family, to have been healthy and happy. I feel lucky to have been so active, to have gotten in lots of great runs, skis and hikes, to have experienced the joy, laughter, tears, sweat and occasional falls that come with all this activity. And I hope that 2009 brings me, and everyone else, more of all of the above.

And so with that, I'll stop being mushy, and get to what we've all been waiting for...
the 2008 Wrap-Up.

Total Miles Run: 1,112.0
Total Hiking Days: 24
Total Miles Hiked: 311.0 (including 278.7 AT miles hiked)
Total Ski Days: 16

I feel like I should have stopped Tuesday's run 1 mile short, so I would have run 1,111 miles in 2008 :-) But I'll take the 1,112. I am sure it's the most miles I've run in one year since I started running. So I'm pretty happy about that, and hope to build on all those miles in the bank for 2009.

I wish I had skiied more. I'll have to work on that this year. I did buy a pass for Pineland Farm when I was there before Christmas with Nate and Shannon, so now I have no excuse! I can go for an hour ski and be content.

And as for the hiking, our last day of hiking this year, September 21, 2008, brought us to the summit of Katahdin. That day brought joy and laughter and tears, and a wonderful completion of our four-year quest to hike the whole AT together. How could I not be happy with what we accomplished this year hiking-wise?

And now, I think it's time to go bundle up and go out on this cold and windy day for a run. Can't have the 2009 training log start off with a zero day!

No comments: