Saturday, January 3, 2009

Early 10

I really wanted to get in a long run this week, and as today was my last shot, I was up and out of bed at 6:15. I would have much rather joined Snowman and the rest of the Trail Monster runners at Bradbury, but that was not meant to be, as today is a work day for me. So, 10 on the roads would have to do.

As I ran out of the parking lot, the sky was still dark. The roads were quiet. Once I got a bit out of town, headed toward Maquoit Bay, the silence was palpable. It was punctuated only by the loud calling of the bluebirds and crows, and the twittering of the juncos and sparrows. I saw several large groups of robins flying overhead, and caught a glimpse of a bright and cheery cardinal in the bushes at the edge of someone's lawn. Light bands of pink highlighted the clouds and the soft early morning light down at the bay was beautiful.

I was a bit overdressed, as I had expected it to be pretty windy out. But it was quite a pleasant morning, 20 degrees and no wind until the last 1.5 miles. I think I really lucked out, as the wind had certainly picked up when I headed into work a bit later and sand was swirling around like mad on the roadways! The drive to work did, however, give me a view of my first Bald Eagle of 2009 soaring overhead, circling on the air currents by the end of the bike path.

3 comments:

mindy said...

Missed you this morning - but sounds like you got in a nice run! Jealous of the bald eagle sighting - ask me about the crazy park lady at Bradbury who was telling Jamie and I that she hates Bald Eagles (long story, and I'm reporting her for being un-American...to whom, I'm not sure yet, maybe Barack...). Have a good week!

Sparkplug said...

Hard to think anyone could hate Bald Eagles!

Missed you guys this morning too, but glad you're out running and feeling good! Are you still planning to head south next Saturday for the GAC Fat Ass? Hope so!

mindy said...

Yep - planning on doing at least one lap, maybe more. I think a bunch of folks are going, so should be really fun!