Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Didn't Want to but I Did

The phone rang at 7:15am. It was Snowman. He had decided he wasn't going to run after all. Too cold and windy up in the Notch. I don't blame him. After all, I was still in bed. All I really wanted was to snuggle back up under the covers and forget about running. But when I had gotten up at 4am to feed Ronnie the cat so as to stop his relentless licking of my face and pulling of my hair, the thermometer read 24 degrees. So really, what excuse did I have? Yes, I was tired, and it was cold and windy. But, it's winter. And I didn't have to leave for work until 10:00 today. I had plenty of time. I could be lazy or I could get up and go!

So, you guessed it... I bundled up and went out. It was pretty windy, and the temps had dropped to 18 degrees so I headed to the Commons, figuring the trees would block the wind a bit and make things more pleasant than out on the open roads. The trails were pretty well packed by xc skiers and walkers, and although things were still a bit uneven, it wasn't bad running with my Inov-8 screw shoes. And as usual, once I had warmed up a bit and gotten into a rhythm, I was happy I was out.

But tomorrow, I might just have to give in to that little voice in my head that was telling me how happy I would be if I had just stayed in bed... :-)

No comments: