Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sam at 21 Months

Sam is really starting to look like a true kid these days. She has little cuts on her knees,and dirt and playdough under her fingernails. Her hair is long enough for a true ponytail, even if it is wispy and thin. She is steady on her feet and runs around everywhere. Her vocabulary has grown immensely in the past month, and she is starting to truly voice her desires (errr...demands :-)). She can count to three, and do her ABCs up to D. She knows all her colors, but can't quite pronounce green and orange. She is getting very good with two and three word sentences. "I don't know" might be one of my favorites, just because she says it in such a cute way :-) I would list out all of her words but it would just go on and on, and I'm sure I would forget some. The newest ones are "tunnel,"  although it comes out "nnul," and "duck." She is pointing out things to us now, even when we don't ask her "what is xyz?", and making her own associations between situations without our help. When we are reading "Five Little Monkeys," and she sees one of the monkeys in a yellow dress, she points to it and says "yellow." When we are reading "Harold and the Purple Crayon," and she sees the moon he's drawn, she says "banana," which just cracks us up :-) Yesterday morning, we were walking out to the car for daycare, and she started pointing excitedly across the parking lot at a maroon car, saying "Pipi! Pipi!," associating the color with my dad's car, which she had been in the past two afternoons. That seems pretty smart to me! When she wants Ronnie to come to her, she will say "Ronnie!" and put out her hand, making a 'come to me' motion, and make the little "pppp" noise that I do when I'm calling him.

We spend a lot of time coloring and playing playdough these days. She is drawing with a bit more focus, making circles and drawing straight lines. She also still lover her books, and it is nice to have her sit in our laps and cuddle and read stories together. But it has to be the exact book she wants to read :-) She is very opinionated these days! Of course, she would spend every second outside, in the pool, in the sandbox, and running around, if we let her. But we won't complain about that one :-)

As always, it is fascinating to watch her change and learn and grow, and to see her personality bloom. She is a unique little being, that's for sure, but we wouldn't want it any other way. I can hardly believe she is nearing 2 years old! She is growing up so quickly. I am constantly aware that one day she may not run so unconditionally into my arms, and shower me with hugs and kisses like she does now. So for now, I will relish in it all, although I could perhaps due without the nighttime wake-ups and the lack of veggie eating :-), and continue to hug her and hold her tight as much as she will let me.

Holding tight to Mama's hand att the water's edge

1 comment:

sn0m8n said...

It sure is dusty in here.