Monday, July 18, 2011

Midday Nine

We had a full day yesterday, so full that I didn't even get a run in! Actually, it was just a matter of getting the timing right and beating the heat, and well, I guess I didn't try that hard :-) We met up with my parents, Kristen and Morgan for breakfast at the Stonyfield Cafe. Delicious! Sam and Morgan had fun playing in the little kids area, and the chocolate chip pancakes were yummy.

Train fun

Kisses from Morgan

Cousins :-)

Kristen and Morgan

Wheee!

Then we got a quick tour of Kristen's new condo - very nice! - before heading home to put Sam down for a nap. Typically I would have run during naptime, but it was 92 degrees, and just plain not pleasant out there! I chose to go to the Bowdoin Museum to see the Edward Hopper exhibit with Mom and Dad instead! The exhibit was pretty neat. Not the iconic stark and lonely scenes that I think of as Hopper, but neat plein air studies from his time out on Monhegan, as well as drawings and a few oils of Maine lighthouses. In some of the works, especially those of the lighthouses, you could see glimpses of the style to come.

After Sam's nap, we went out and had some pool time...

Fun in the pool

...followed by pizza at Ricetta's with everyone. By the time we got home, Sam was definitely ready for bed! In fact, she was so tired out she slept in until 8:15 this morning!! Wow. Of course, I could never have anticipated this, and when she woke up briefly at 5:30 and then again 6:00, but went back to sleep, I figured she would be up for good soon enough, so I just padded downstairs to drink a cup of coffee and sit in the quiet with my computer. I should have gone for my run instead!

Ah well, I got out while Sam was taking her nap, heading out around 12:30. It was warm, but not as warm as yesterday, and there was a nice breeze blowing. It didn't seem all that bad. I ran out on the powerlines and ran the route that Scott had showed me back in April. I stopped to pick some blueberries along the way, and had a few wildlife sightings too - lots of birds, a gopher and a big deer who scared me half to death while I was out in the middle of nowhere. He let out a big snort and leaped across the trail, crashing off through the bushes. I felt pretty good, although I was definitely hungry, and finished up with 9 miles in 1:20:31. It's pretty easy to run at a decent pace on these trails, as they are mostly flat and wide, with decent footing. I really thought the heat hadn't affected me too much; however, after Sam woke up, she and I went over to the playground, and there, baking in the sun on the swings, I started to feel a bit woozy. I hung on for a while longer, and then we came home and sat in the A/C, drinking water and eating chips. I felt much better after that :-)


"Heavy!" Sam with a big 'ol bag 'o chips!

All in all, a busy and fun weekend, with at least a little bit of running thrown in too!

3 comments:

Scout said...

Whew! I'm tired just reading it all : D

Sparkplug said...

Yes, I think we are all tired out! :-)

mindy said...

Sounds like great run - especially with a bit of a breeze for a change!