Friday, July 15, 2011

No Rest for the Weary...

"I know I can't slow down, I can't hold back, though you know I wish I could. Oh no, there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good." -Cage the Elephant, "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked"

This is the song I was singing this morning while I was running. If you just replaced "wicked" with "weary" that would be me. Or as another one of our friend's recently blogged, I'll sleep when I'm dead :-)

Sam should have been sufficiently tired out last night to sleep and sleep and sleep. Or maybe it was that she was so overtired that she couldn't sleep. Or she was overstimulated by her visit with Neenie, Pipi and Morgan last night for a quick visit and dinner. Whatever. She was up every few hours, and then was up three times between 3am and 5am. At that point, I just decided I might as well get up and go run. I was awake. I was tired. What else is new?

It was a beautiful morning. 58 degrees (!!), crisp and cool, with bright blue skies and a nice breeze. Since I was out the door by 5:30, I figured I would run on the golf cart path. There was no way anyone was out playing golf at this hour! The course was covered with dew. A great blue heron flew overhead, silently flapping its large wings. A cute little brown bunny munched on some clover. Unfortunately much of the beauty and the peacefulness was lost on me during the run. I was dragging. I really wanted to be back in bed. I kept thinking "there ain't no rest for the wicked (weary)." But I got in 6 miles, at a decent pace even, and felt better for it (I think!). Now as long as I can manage not to fall asleep at my desk, I'll consider  the day a success!

No comments: