Saturday, July 23, 2011

Much Better

Much better today! I awoke to overcast skies and cooler temps, and that made all the difference. Got in a quick three miles, just to loosen up the legs in preparation for tomorrow's Old Port Half. When I signed up for the race, I had envisioned that Ryan would be running the race too, and could never have guessed that we would be in the midst of a massive heat wave. I also had hoped to have gotten in a few more road and more speed work. But no matter.  Tomorrow at 8am, I'll be running my first half in a long, long time. The last time I ran a half marathon was in 1998, the year after I graduated from Bowdoin, when I was young and carefree, could sleep a lot, and was subsisting on a ridiculous and totally uninspired college-graduate diet of yogurt, carrots and rice cakes. Ah, how times have changed! What was I thinking not eating french fries and ice cream?! :-) In any event, I was running, although probably not all that much (and my running log is way too far away to dig up right now), but I did manage to pull off a 1:43:22 at the Maine Half Marathon that year. So, that's my carrot for tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: