Monday, July 11, 2011

Monday Fun


Ryan's schedule is fairly flexible right now, so we decided to take advantage of that and head over to Wolfe's Neck State Park this morning. Wolfe's Neck is a great place, with some nice easy trails through the woods, and lots of spots to get down onto the rocks and to the water. When we told Sam we were getting her dressed in her swim clothes, she must have said "water!" about a gazillion times, over and over and over. {Note to self: Don't tell a toddler you are doing something that you aren't doing immediately! She wanted water, and she wanted it now! :-) Luckily she calmed down and happily read her books in the car, but the second we got to the park, she was back to "water, water water."} The park was nice and quiet at 9am on a Monday morning, and we walked together down to one of the rocky and sandy beaches with a great view out into the bay. There is also a little island right off shore with an osprey nest in the top of one of the tall pine trees. There were at least two babies on the nest, chirping and calling to their mom, who flew in a few times to check on them. High tide this morning was at 8am, but there were still some neat little pools to explore and a few spots between the rocks where Sam could sit in the water. We were surprised the tide went out so quickly, and as the morning progressed, we were able to explore the water a bit more. Sam had a blast! And it was just such a nice morning to be out. Warm and sunny, but cool in the shade of the trees, and nice in the water too. Lots of fun!

Sam at the water's edge

Looking at shells with Daddo

Into the water with Mama

Sam pondering the ocean :-)

Wheeee!

Getting a ride with Mama

Sam was tuckered out after the morning, so she took a good nap, during which I got out for my run. It was 83 degrees, and after spending 2 hours in the sun at the beach, not to mention yesterday's race, I was more than willing to be talked out of the 7 miles I had on my schedule. I'll do those one night later this week, and settled for 5 on the powerlines instead. Although it was hot as blazes, I was sweating like crazy, and I raced yesterday, I really didn't feel all that bad. I did have to walk back up the steep hill right after mile 3, something I haven't done for a while, but all in the name of recovery, right?! I stopped for a few blueberries along the way, and enjoyed the sweet smell of the ferns and milkweed. The red berries of the bunchberry plant are now out on display, making a nice contrast to all the green, and I saw my first four wood lilies of the season! There is something about these single lilies that I just love, and seeing them today made me smile. In fact, when I got back inside, Ryan couldn't believe I was smiling! I said I was just happy I was done. Ha!

Once Sam woke up, we went out in the pool for a bit, and had just gotten inside when we got a call from my parents. They are in town helping my sister and brother-in-law out with their move into their new condo (congrats guys!), so they came up with Morgan for an early dinner and some playtime. Sam was soooo excited to see them. It was just adorable! It ended up being a really full day, but lots of fun!

So happy to see Neenie and Pipi!

Hugs from Morgan

No comments: