Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Run and Ski (and Racing Plans!)

The first thing I did in the New Year, aside from giving Sammy hugs and kisses, was to rush to my computer and sign myself up for the TARC 50k in April. Gotta start off the New Year right and get one's racing schedule in order :-)

After that, we had a leisurely morning, meaning I didn't get out for my run until around 9:30. I donned my screwshoes and went out to run the powerlines for a bit. It was windy and cold, but bright. I wore my buff around my neck, and successfully used it around my mouth to keep the air I was breathing warm. I think it helped make me cough less after the run, for sure. The snow, still so dry and fluffy, wasn't all that well packed, but the going wasn't all that tough. I just took my time and enjoyed being out. I came back via Tedford, which added on a little bit of mileage, but still only got in 3.5 miles :-) Oh well, so much for today being the start of my new training plan for the 50k! Sigh. So typical...

After lunch, we psyched Sam up for skiing, raced around getting ourselves geared up and all the gear in the car, and headed over to Highland Green. On his run this morning, Ryan had noted that the Mt. Ararat trails were being groomed for xc skiing, and with the wind, we figured that the top of Mountain Road might be the best place for her to actually enjoy skiing, as it would be sheltered and we could head into the woods for a bit too. Sam very quickly grasped the concept of sliding, although she was happiest holding both of hands and literally sliding forward on her skis instead of shuffling along :-) With a few fits and starts, we got her up and going and out into the woods. We didn't get far, but she did great! We capped the ski off with a bit of sledding, at her request, and finished up a fun afternoon with cupcakes, made and frosted earlier in the day by Sammy (with my help). Perfect :-)

Yeah! We're going skiing!

All geared up and ready to head out

Skiing side by side :-)

Down the hill! Whee!

Happiness in the woods

1 comment:

mindy said...

Love the snowsuit! Looks like you've got a little skier on your hands :D TARC 50k sounds great, definitely will be something to look forward to through the winter.