Saturday, January 12, 2013

January Thaw

Sadly, we are in the midst of another day of the January thaw. While the snow pack is not gone, it has definitely diminished this week. Hopefully colder weather will kick in soon and we'll get more snow, but for now, things are looking a bit sad out there, at least where the snow isn't packed down. Sam was up much too early this morning, so after hanging out with her for a few hours, I headed out for my run around 7:30 am. Out into the light mist, the snow-eating fog and the 35 degree temps. Not exactly ideal running weather. I just wanted to do a short and easy road run to shake things loose and get in a few additional miles this week, so I did a loop around the neighborhoods, out toward the high school and into Patriot Commons. The side roads were a bit slick, but the route is flat so without much effort I still managed 8:30s for the three miles. And with those three miles, I have finally reached 30 miles for the week, the first time since before Stonecat! I had hoped to get to 30 the week of Christmas, but with the holidays and being sick, mileage was a bit derailed. Oh well, better late than never, right?! I'll plan to slowly creep up through the low 30s for the rest of this month and slowly up my long runs. I'm not going to do anything crazy this training cycle, with mileage likely only peaking in the mid 40s, but I am planning to get in back-to-back long runs this cycle, something I've never been successful at before. I don't think I'll be getting in 10 miles for my 2nd long run every week like a lot of people do, but even a solid 6 or 8 would be a good start. We'll see how it goes!

No comments: