Saturday, October 13, 2012

Frost and Ice

The weather people weren't kidding when they predicted lows of 29 last night! The thermometer was reading 31 when Sam and I came downstairs at 6:00 am, so I'm assuming it dipped below that earlier in the morning hours. Brrr! Maybe a bit early for below freezing temps, but at least the forecast ensured that Ryan was willing to turn on our monitor heater :-) Ah, now the house is toasty warm!

I headed out for a short run around 7:30 am, decked out in long sleeves, fleece tights, hat and gloves. The sun was shining brightly, and the air was cold. There was a heavy frost covering the grass and the brush along the roadside. A thin sheen of ice shone in the sun atop the shallow puddles from yesterday's rain. I ran out into Highland Green, and along hole #3 before turning off the cart path at the Heath. The golf course greens were frosted over, as were the bridges. At the Heath, I stopped for a moment to admire the cotton sedge and deep red leaves of the marsh brush, tinged in frost, all set against the deep blue sky. Pretty. I ran back over the quarry, down the road and up the powerlines. The hoar frost in the sand crunched beneath my feet.

Got in 4 quick miles before making a trip to Frosty's for a big mug of coffee and a big twist donut with Ryan and Sam. A good mix on a cold and bright fall morning! Now if only I didn't have to be at work for the rest of the day :-)

No comments: