Friday, December 16, 2011

Run along the Cape Fear River

I headed out towards the River Lodge this morning for my run. It was early enough that the air felt cool in the shadows, even though it was almost 60 degrees. The half-moon hung in the blue sky above. My dad had mentioned a path I should take a look at, and what good Trail Monster would pass up an opportunity for a little dirt running when given the chance? The "trail" was an old dirt/sand road that wound along the back of the properties along the Cape Fear River. The woods were quiet, and spanish moss hung from the trees along the edge of the high river bank. The water was deep, calm and black, snaking its way through the forest. Once I hit the lodge, I took the "nature trail" that ran between some of the golf course holes, and then wandered home through the neighborhoods. I got in a nice six miles.

Flora notes: I scared up a big red-tailed hawk by the fitness center, and noted a number of bluebirds out in the fields. When I got home, we spotted a white egret across the way, quietly and patiently standing at the edge of one of the ponds, hoping to catch his breakfast.

No comments: