Monday, December 19, 2011

Heron Shadows

It is just my mom and I entertaining Sam today, as my dad, bless his heart, offered to drive to Charlotte to pick up Ryan (Ryan had rented a car from Charlotte to Chattanooga and back) so that Ryan didn't have to rent another car from there and drive another 4 hours alone to their house. Isn't he sweet? Thanks Dad!!! Sam, Neenie and I did some painting this morning, went on an "adventure" to the grocery store and hit the playground on the way home before lunchtime. All the excitement of the past few days seems to have caught up with Sam, as she didn't protest to naptime at all, and fell right asleep.

The golf courses are closed on Mondays through the winter, so I decided to take the opportunity to get in a run on the cart paths today. My parent's house is on hole #7 of the Landing Course, so I got on the path right out back, and followed it as it meandered along ponds, past houses and crisscrossed the roads throughout the neighborhood. It was breezy and a bit cool (by NC standards, anyway!), but the sun was warm. I was surprised at how quiet the course was. I figured others would be out taking advantage of the cart paths on a nice day like today. It seemed to just be me, and the herons. I kept seeing them everywhere. With the sun high in the sky, when one of them flew over, the shadow seemed huge, their big flapping wing span accentuated. For some reason, I envision the prehistoric flying pterodactyls to look like herons, flapping through the skies in search of their next meal. I don't know why. Anyway, I love that there are so many of the herons around. They are comical looking, while at the same time elegant. Their plumage and coloring are beautiful. They roost in trees, for goodness sake. What's not to like?

So, if you follow the Landing Course cart paths the whole way around, it comes to 6.25 miles. You know, just in case you're in the area, and want to take a look at all the herons :-)

No comments: