Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pre-Dawn Run

Sam has been sleeping pretty poorly the past few nights - she is getting her two top eye teeth, and has a bit of a cold, and the combination just seems to be waking her up a lot. The one nice thing about this (gotta look on the bright side, right?!) is while she has been waking up around 5:30 or 6:00, I've been able to get her back to sleep for another hour or so. So this morning, when she woke up a little before 6am and easily went back to sleep, I figured I had a fighting chance at getting in my morning run before she woke back up.

I only had 3 miles on my "schedule," so at 6:30 on the nose, I headed out into the darkness. The low-lying fog and the fact that sunrise wasn't officially until 7:00am, meant that I brought my headlamp, and used it for the first part of the run. I didn't really need it to see during the first road mile of the loop, but I wanted cars to see me! :-) The light did help once I turned into the woods, and I think it ensured that I didn't totally scare the crap out of the two women with their dogs who I ran into as I was exiting the woods onto the Highland Green property. I hardly ever see other runners on my loops, so to see two before it was light out was a bit of a surprise! I got in my 3 miles in 26:00 even, and the house was still dark upon my return. I even managed to get my shower in before Sam woke up. She was a bit surprised to find I had wet hair when I went up to get her. Upon feeling my hair after giving me a nice wake-up hug, she said, "Wet hair, Mama. Take a shower?" So cute. I do love watching and listening to her work through all these normal, day-to-day things!

No comments: