Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What Training Plan?

I have a "training plan" penciled into my 2011 planner. The thing is, I don't think there is one week where I have actually followed the penciled notes as written. And the pencilled notes were simply my revisions of a "true" training plan, based on what I thought I could manage given my circumstances/the winter weather/etc. I call it the "flexible approach." Ha :-) But seriously, perhaps for the next race I should actually try to follow a real plan? And maybe do some speed work? At this rate, that is besides the point. I have run what I have run, and I have four weeks (yikes!) until the Gator Trail 50k. Given that, my plan for today was to run 22 miles. I have only gotten in one 20 miler in this training cycle. This is not ideal, I realize, but I really do feel like my training has been going pretty well so far. However, I also know I would feel much better getting in one more long run before the race. This week would be the week to do it. Unfortunately, I did not get out for a 22 mile run today.

I managed to pick up a cold somewhere (Hmmmm, where might that be? From some cute little germ factory living in this house?), and I knew when I woke up this morning that I just did not have the energy, either physical or mental for a long solo road run today.

I figured I had three options -
Option #1: Do the run anyway, and pray that I make it through. This seemed like a bad idea from the get-go. No need to dig myself into a hole when I have a cold, and didn't feel energetic from the start. Not to mention, the roads were a treacherous combination of slush, frozen slush, ice, snow and melting water from Sunday/Monday's weather. And it was windy. Meaning my route down to the ocean? Not the best of ideas... OK, so #1 really wasn't an option.

On to Option #2. Run short today, and long tomorrow. I did 1/2 of #2 this morning after dropping Sam off at daycare and doing some errands around town. I headed out across the street around 10:30. The sky was a brilliant blue, the sun was shining, the snow was white and crispy looking, and the wind was whipping through the treetops. I wore my screwshoes, thinking I just might find the snowmobile trail packed by a few sleds. Regardless, I needed them just for the 1/4 mile on our road. It was not well plowed, and very slippery. Luck was on my side, and one or two sleds has indeed been out on the trails around the high school. They must have gone out last night, as they had churned up and packed down the mush and it had frozen nicely. It was a good surface to run on, despite only have a pass or two over it. I did posthole a few times, and step through into an icy puddle or two, but otherwise it was good running. Unfortunately, right before Rt. 24, the sleds took a sharp left into someone's yard, and the trail ahead was untracked. I figured I could brave it for a 1/2 mile or so, so I kept on running, sinking in through the 1" to 2" of frozen slushy snow with each step. It was slow going, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to run through more of it than I did, but it was doable for a bit. Still, I was giving extra thanks to those two intrepid snowmobilers who had been out last night on the rest of the trail! What a difference! They really made the run. When I hit Bay Park, I ran up the road to Rt. 24, and then headed back to the snowmobile trail junction, so as to avoid the untracked section on the way back. I had to add a little bit on the roads to get to an even 5 miles, but overall, despite feeling a bit weary, it was a good run and I'm glad to have gotten some fresh air into my lungs.

I will debate the second half of Option #2 tomorrow morning. If I don't feel it's a good idea to go 20 or 22, I will move on to Option #3. Run 12 to 14 tomorrow, and then run 20 to 22 on Monday. Most training plans seem to call for the last long run 3 weeks out from a marathon. In an ideal world, that would mean running my long run this Saturday, but I will be working. I figure running it on Monday, only two days later, isn't a big deal, especially as I'll be tapering after that.

Like I said, "flexible." :-)

1 comment:

pathfinder said...

I think flexible is good....one must enjoy life sometimes too. As you get older, and life fills in around you, your focus tends to change.