Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Foreside Fourteen

Sam had one glorious night of sleeping through the night last week, but now we are back to our regularly scheduled program, and up at least once a night. We took her to the doctor's yesterday for an ear check, and the ear infection and the bronchial infection have both cleared up. Ears looked great, and lungs sounded good. Hurray. So why the interrupted sleep again? I'm betting on teeth. Seriously, her upper gums are so swollen. The teeth have got to be close to coming in. But whatever it is, she did not sleep well last night, although thankfully she went back to sleep after she woke up at 5:30 and slept another two hours. I may not have woken up feeling rested, but at least I had the chance to sit quietly with my coffee and the computer for an hour and a half this morning. Will I ever feel rested again? Hmmm. Somehow I think not, but I can dream, can't I?! :-)

Despite feeling a bit tired, I had a good run today. I left Ryan playing with a very energetic Samantha a little after 9am and headed down the Connector, across the fairgrounds and out onto Foreside Road. It was a gorgeous morning. Bright and clear, with only a few wispy clouds in the bluebird sky above, rising temperatures, and a little wind to keep things interested. The chickadees flitted about and called from the bushes, while a few turkey vultures circled overhead. There was evidence of snow melt and flooding everywhere. When I stepped off the road and over the snowbank for a pee break around mile 6.5, my foot went straight through what looked like solid snow and into a cold slurry of water and ice below. Brrrr! Spring was in the air, for sure.

I felt solid during the run, but during the last few miles I could feel my left leg tightening up a bit. Too many road miles in the past week, I think, but hopefully some good stretching and rolling and maybe even one last massage next week before the race, and I'll be good to go! Happy to finish up the 14 miles in 1:58:57, and hoping to try the trails tomorrow!

No comments: