Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rest Day Musings

No running today, so there isn't much coherence to this post. Just a bunch of things on my mind...

~Today was a much needed rest day. After 5 days of running, my legs were tired. And I am still trying to shake the congestion from earlier this week, which seems to have settled in my right sinus. The left side of my face is totally fine, but the right side feels clogged. Go away sinus pressure! I don't need you. Gotta love living with a little germ factory!

~Speaking of the little germ factory, Sam has finally sprouted a third tooth! The very tip of a top tooth, which from its placement seems to perhaps be one of the lateral incisors, is now poking through her gums. I guess the interrupted sleep over this past weekend really was from teething. It is going to take a while before anyone can actually tell there is a tooth up there, but it is there for sure!

~Sam's hair is getting longer. I want to trim the back, but Ryan says no way. The daycare ladies put it up in pigtails today, which was so cute, although as one of them said, the pigtails definitely diminish the mullet effect :-)

~We just removed the tray off Sam's highchair seat last week, and she is now sitting in the seat facing the table, eating off the table instead of off her tray. She looks so grown up, sitting like that! This makes for a much easier clean-up too, although the sippy cups make a much louder noise when she bangs them down on the table :-)

~ I can hardly believe it's mid-February. I have been working at crossing things off my home to-do list, but I have stalled a bit. Where has my extra time gone? Oh, I have been cleaning and cooking, and running, and hanging with Sam, and racing here, there, and everywhere to get errands done, but somehow I haven't managed to get as much done as I had hoped. I am really going to have to crank on this list over the next six weeks if I want to get everything done.

~ The fact that it is mid-February also means that in six weeks we will be running the Gator Trail 50k! Wow and aie all at once! When I compare my training to oh, say, Ryan's training, it looks pretty meager. But I've done a lot more running in preparation for this race (and there is still more to come!) than I managed to get in for Stonecat, so I feel like I'm on the right track. I also have less lofty goals for this race than Ryan, although I am definitely hoping for a strong race for sure! Now if I can just stop scheduling my long runs for snow days, that would be a good thing. I have a 20-miler on tap for next week, and hopefully the weather will cooperate!

~ I used to read a ton over these winter months. With more free time and no little kiddo to chase around, I spent a lot more time sitting quietly on the couch reading. Wow, that sounds nice! While I definitely have less time to spend with a book these days, I think it is also that I spend more of my free down time on the computer. I certainly won't be giving up my computer, but picking up a book is something I'm hoping to do more of over the next few months. I'm currently halfway through a book called Brimfield Rush, which is fun for me as I've been to Brimfield (a huge week-long antique fair/flea market down in Massachusetts) with my boss a few times. I've also put in inter-library loan requests for Unbroken, Once a Runner and Medium Raw, so I'm excited for some good reading ahead!

2 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Cool you plan to read Once A Runner! Very cool! Simply an incredible book. BTW, not sure if I told you before, but it's based on Jeff and I's hometown, Gainesville, FL.

Sparkplug said...

Cool - I hadn't realized the book was based on Gainesville. I'm definitely looking forward to reading it.