Sunday, February 6, 2011

Messy Messy

These days, "messy messy" could apply to many things. Sam eating yogurt and pears last night with a spoon all by herself last night. The house when I come downstairs after putting her to bed at night - toys strewn everywhere, dish towels everywhere, goldfish sprinkled on the floor. Sam's hair, spiked with some lovely combination of hair gel from the faux-hawk they gave her at daycare as well as what is likely some snot, pasta sauce and oh, maybe a little yogurt thrown in. Or maybe it's the endless cat hair floating in the air, despite daily vacuuming. Oh well. We have a 16 month old and 2 cats. Life is messy :-) And today, the roads were messy too.

Yesterday, around 4pm, I talked to Ryan while I was at work and he told me it was snowing hard at home. So, we decided to pack things up and close up early. And sure enough, just as I was leaving, it started to snow. And snow hard. The roads were a mess, and it was a slow drive. Then later in the evening, as we were sitting quietly on the couch relaxing after Sam had gone to bed, we heard what sounded like sleet or rain outside. Yup, it was 34 degrees out. So by this morning, the new snow had been saturated with rain. I headed out for my run around 9:00. The roads were a mix of just plain wet pavement, slush, packed snow and ice and the oh-so-wonderful deep brown puddles that appear when it warms up after a lot of snow and the runoff has nowhere to go. On the backside of Highland Green road and in our complex, things hadn't been well-cleared, so there was a bit of running through 2" of crispy wet snow too. Oh, and I came back on the powerlines since I didn't want to run up the Connector, so I got a bit of snowmobile trail running in too. A bit of everything! Although it wasn't the most pleasant run due to conditions, I didn't get slowed down too much, and it was warm and bright and sunny out, so that was a plus! And since it is such a nice day, I think we'll hit the Cathance trails for a short snowshoe once Sam wakes up from her nap and before the Superbowl. Sounds good to me!

3 comments:

Scout said...

Life IS messy, but, it sounds like, life is good!

pathfinder said...

Wouldn't want things to be too perfect...then there would be traffic jams out there on the trail...too many people would want to do it

Sparkplug said...

True, true and true!