Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Happenings

It's been an eventful past few days.

Sparkly Clean ~
Ronnie got his teeth cleaned on Monday. Yes, cats need teeth cleanings too, apparently. Who knew? I didn't know until Katy told us a few years back that Ronnie's teeth were looking a little yucky. It took us a while to get around to sending him down to her for the cleaning - especially since the cats have to be put under anesthesia and spend the whole day there for the procedure - but now he has sparkly shiny happy teeth!

Sick Again ~
Poor Sam is sick again. On Sunday night, she had a bit of a cough. She seemed fine on Monday during the day - we had a good day together, playing and reading, and visiting with Shannon, Finley and Charlotte during the afternoon. But during the night, her cough just got worse and worse, and it just sounded like it hurt. Because of how quickly the cough came on, and how harsh it sounded, I decided to keep her home yesterday, and made a doctor's appointment. And it turns out that she has an ear infection and another bronchial infection (again!). So we're back on antibiotics and using the inhaler. Yuck!

Although she seemed OK yesterday morning, by the time we got home from the doctor's office/pharmacy around 4pm, she was clearing not feeling well and seemed really wiped out. She was in the bath by 5:30 and asleep, despite the coughing, soon after. However, this morning she seemed her cheery self, she ate breakfast and I figured with a few doses of the antibiotics now in her system she would be OK at daycare today. Well, they called me at 2:00 saying that she was running a fever and was coughing and upset. I felt like such a bad mommy for sending her in! But really, even they said she was good up until her nap. She just melted down after that. Once I got her home and finally got some food and drink (and most importantly Motrin!) into her, she was fine for the rest of the evening, playing and coloring and happy. But she was still in bed early, and hopefully will be feeling better tomorrow!

Snowmobile Trail Exploration ~
After I dropped Sam off at daycare this morning, I came home, did a few things around the house and headed out for my run. This week was supposed to be a bit of a step-back week, but not as much of a step-back as it has become. I had intended to take Monday as a rest day, but yesterday was not in the plan as a day off. Oh well. Not much I could do about it, as Ryan was away and I was home all day/night alone with a sick little girl. These things happen. So, that meant today was the day for a long run.

I headed out on the snowmobile trails towards Lover's Lane, but took Ryan's advice and followed a new stretch of trail to make a nice loop which headed out to the dump, wound through the woods, and dropped me back at the powerlines via Homeplace. It was a nice morning to be out in the woods, and the trails were in good shape. I really enjoyed the "new to me" portion of this run. In fact, when I got back to the powerlines, I did a variation on the "new" loop again before heading back towards home.

Unfortunately, I was pretty worn out from being up with Sam the past two nights, and although it was a gorgeous day, I just felt a bit off from the get-go. I had hoped to get in some more miles today, but once I realized early on that that wasn't going to happen, I just tried to push the pace for the 10 miles I did get in, and managed to eke out 9:21 pace for the run. It wasn't quite the long run I had envisioned but any run on a bluebird day on nicely packed snowmobile trails is a good one!

No comments: