Wednesday, February 16, 2011

20 Miles and Some Library Fun

I finally managed to get in the 20 miler that I've been threatening to do for a few weeks now. I had originally planned to run it yesterday but the wind advisory and the cold temps changed my plans. Luckily, daycare was fine with switching around the days I was planning to keep Sam home this week, so we hung out yesterday and I took her in today instead. It was a bit cooler and windier than I had been hoping for given the forecast, but much better than yesterday for sure!

I used mapmyrun.com to map out a route from home. The route took me along a lot of the same route as the 14-miler I ran a few weeks ago, but I added on some additional miles in the middle. Once I hit Pleasant Hill Road, I turned right, and ran up past Crystal Spring Farm to Casco Road. I've run Casco a number of times, but always in the other direction. I didn't remember it being so uphill from Pleasant, not to mention it seemed extra long as I was running straight into the wind. From there I wandered along Bunganuc and down to Maquoit Bay. The snow-covered bay shimmered in the sunlight. Once I climbed up from the ocean's edge, I turned onto Rossmore, getting a few more views of the water and the islands before turning back towards Brunswick.

The last stretch of the run wasn't all that pleasant. I ran through the Bowdoin campus, down Federal and then Water Street to the bike path, where I took the path that connects the bike path with Route 24, taking you up onto the Connector and over the river. This stretch is not well-maintained at all, and I wasn't prepared for having to essentially walk some big stretches which were treacherous ice. By this point, my legs and feet were begging for mercy from 17+ miles of pounding the pavement, and all I wanted was to get home! I took the road through the fairgrounds, ran up the Connector and took the long way into our complex. I was very happy to stop when the Garmin beeped 20.00 miles! But despite the pounding, it was a good run. I felt strong for most of the way - I was admittedly tired in the last few miles - and I am glad to finally have gotten in this 20 miler and have had the chance to get out and be on my feet for almost 3 hours (final time: 2:57:02). I know it will serve me well come Gator Trail.

---
Library Fun

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I took Sam to the library after nap/snacktime yesterday afternoon. We got there a little after 2:30pm, and I was assuming that since school lets out around that time, that there would be other kids/parents playing in the children's section. Well, we had the whole place to ourselves the whole time we were there - and we stayed for almost an hour and a 1/2! But it didn't matter. Sam was in seventh heaven. She had a big, new playroom all to herself. There was a train set, a kid-size table and chairs with some puzzles, a couch, bins full of board books along with your typical shelves of books, plus a cool room where they must do storytime. It had some big stuffed animals, including a huge Gorilla. She loved the "monkey" and really wanted to take him home with us! We ran around and played and read a few books here and there, and she had a grand old time! Why didn't I think of this earlier?! It was the perfect thing to do on a cold afternoon, and I am sure we will be back. Maybe we'll even check a few kids books out next time (I did pick up Once a Runner and Medium Raw for my reading pile so I am happy!) :-)

This chair is the perfect size to push around the room!

Puzzles!

They taste good too! (Ewwww!!!!)

On the move

Playing with the train set

Wow, this place is cool!

Sam

Lounging :-)

3 comments:

Scout said...

Woohoo! Great job, Danielle : )

Jamie Anderson said...

Excellent run, and sounds like a fun time with Sam!

Sparkplug said...

Thanks guys :-)