Sunday, June 20, 2010

"You're Not Going to Have a Good Run, You Know..."

...were Ryan's words as I stepped out the door. Optimistic, huh? But he was right. It was not a good run. It was 12:30. I was hungry. We had just gotten back from the doctor's (yes, on a Sunday, and Father's Day at that!) for Sam. She had had a fever since yesterday and was just not herself this morning. Although we had a follow-up appointment scheduled for tomorrow, we put a call into the doctor just in case, and he told us to come in. He took a look at her ears, and told her she (or rather her ears) had failed. Another double ear infection (or a continuation of the first). Either way, not good, and we came away with a second, stronger round of antibiotics. Hopefully these do the job.

With Sam fighting the fever last night, things did not go well, so I ended up sleeping with her awkwardly cuddled in my left arm in the guest bed, and as a result, didn't really sleep and my hip felt all out of whack from my strange position I maintained to keep her comfy. I also didn't sleep much Friday night, due to what, in retrospect, was likely the start of her ear infection. Add to this the fact that despite the wind, it was hot, sunny and muggy, and that the temps went up something ridiculous like 8 degrees while I was out, and you see that all of this was not exactly a recipe for a good run. So, when I reached the quarry, I bagged the idea of running a nice 7 miles along the river and through the Cathance trails as I had hoped and instead ran the dirt road down to Topsham Crossing and came back on the powerlines, getting in 3.5 miles at 9:50 pace. I came in the door, feeling a bit defeated, and very sweaty.

But while I was gone, Sam slept and woke up seeming more like her cheery self. We put her in the bouncer and she happily chatted and bounced and all seemed good. I had just started to eat my lunch when Ryan noted that she had pooped (she has a certain 'poop' face). A few minutes later, we noticed that in fact, not only had she pooped but it was leaking out of the bouncer onto the mat below. Ewwwww! And through it all, Sam was smiling and bouncing and happy, not caring that poop was now being bounced everywhere. It was gross, yes, but pretty hysterical. At least until I had to clean it all up :-) So, lesson learned - putting a child, who has taken the first round of an antibiotic that the pharmacist said was guaranteed to give her diarrhea, into the bouncy seat is not a good idea!

And with Ryan still feeling a bit knocked out by his sinus infection, this all added up to not exactly the Father's Day we had planned - I had had thoughts of breakfast out and a nice hike - but regardless, Happy first Father's Day to Ryan! Hopefully next year's will be a better, healthier one, or at least a cleaner one :-)



2 comments:

pathfinder said...

sounds like a tough but still memoral day. Our daughter had continuous ear infections when she was little and we ended up with the doctor putting tubes in her ears to help them drain normally....which by the way worked very well if you are considering it.

Sparkplug said...

Kevin, I hope we don't have to resort to tubes and that this round of antibiotics kills off the ear infection, but I have heard other stories of tubes really working wonders, like with your daughter.