Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday Happy Sunday

What a nice day today! We started off the morning meeting up with Nate, Shannon, Finley and little Charlotte at our favorite breakfast spot, the Broadway Deli, for a yummy meal. We hadn't had a chance to catch up in a while, so it was fun to see them! Charlotte was awake and smiling, and is getting to be a big girl - in fact, she is the same length as Sam, and about 6 months younger - ha :-) I guess Sam really is a tiny one! Sam was such a good little girl while we were in the restaurant. She sat in her highchair, grabbed at Charlotte's hand while I was holding her on my lap next to Sam, smiled at Finley, made friends with the waitresses, and had a grand old time.

When we got home Sam took a 2 1/2 hour nap, during which time both Ryan and I managed to get our runs in. I love this long nap thing! I hope she keeps it up!! I went out first, feeling ever so slightly weighed down by my pancakes, and ran Ryan's 5-mile Homeplace loop. The air was a bit heavy, but it was overcast, so it didn't feel unbearably hot, which was nice. The scent of the pink beach roses and milkweed filled the air as I ran along. I saw my friends the towhees, as well as a number of goldfinch, and I scared up a pretty big doe who was munching on the foliage along the lines after Topsham Crossing. I felt pretty good, and while I'll admit that the tightness in my hip isn't completely gone, it is feeling so much better with the stretching I've been doing of my back and side muscles.

Later in the afternoon, after we all got cleaned up and ate our lunches, we headed over to Cox Pinnacle for a short hike. At 354 feet, this is the highest point in Brunswick, so it was very exciting :-) Actually, it was quite a nice, if short, loop over the summit on the wide, old logging roads. No views from the top, but it was good to be out walking in the woods on a summer afternoon. Of course, I wasn't carrying the child in a backpack, so while I thought it was pleasant, Ryan worked up a sweat :-) And Sam, as always, smiled and laughed and had a jolly good time!

Let's go!

Along the trail

3 comments:

middle.professor said...

Did you have to use O2 bottles for the pinnacle or do it bottle-free?

Sparkplug said...

Lots and lots of O2!! :-)

sn0m8n said...

No way, brah. O2 is whack. We were like totally pure and totally respected the spirit of the mountain. Right on.