Thursday, June 10, 2010

Three

I had every intention of getting up at 5am today and heading out for a run before Sam woke up for the day. Instead, she woke up at 4am to eat, and when I got back into bed, I realized my throat was still killing me and there was no way I was getting up in under an hour to run. So, instead we all slept until 7am, and I felt a bit better and wondered why I hadn't just gotten up and gone for my run. Oh well. But, the thing is, I still had a chance. We've started dropping Sam off at daycare around 8am, not because I have to be at work that early, but because it seems to help to get her there and settled for a bit before her morning nap. It makes me a bit sad to drop her off so early, but we also want her to nap and have a routine, and this is what seems to be working. So, after dropping her off, I drove back home and went for a quick run. I ran the 3 mile Highland Green loop, in the rain, feeling a bit clunky from taking the past three days off due to my sore throat, but it did feel nice to be out running!

The flora and fauna highlight of the run was spotting an osprey sitting atop one of the powerline poles near the high school. I had to look twice to make sure I was really seeing an osprey, as they aren't your typical powerline dweller, but indeed, it was one. They have a pretty distinct look about them. And the reality is that the Cathance River and the Androscoggin aren't that far away, so he was probably just taking advantage of what is no doubt a good rodent population along the trail and in the low vegetation. Hopefully he was successful and found something good to bring home to his brood!

No comments: