Thursday, June 24, 2010

Why?

I was talking to one of my oldest and bestest friends on the phone last night, and she asked me why in the world I had wanted to run a 50k 7 months after Sam was born. Part of the reason is "why not?" Part of the reason is that I wanted to prove I could (although of course, I didn't, but hey, I tried). But on a deeper level, this is a hard question to answer. Why I run just isn't nicely and neatly summed up in words. And why I want to run long is even more complicated. But, I'd say that the feeling I get when watching this video (Thanks Snowman for bringing it to the surface again!) pretty much sums up the "why?" up for me. Who doesn't want to run after watching this?!



That being said, I am feeling pretty down about my running right now. June has been a bit of a bust, partially because I was recovering from Pineland the first week and then all of us got sick. At the beginning of this week, even though Sam was sick again, I thought I could turn things around and I was all excited to get out and actually run again. Instead, I am taking a few days off because of my hip. Actually, I don't really think it's my hip per say. I think it's a combination of really tight back muscles and a likely pull in one of the outside ab muscles on my left side. But whatever it is, I'm not happy with it. I know I haven't been good about stretching these days, and I also know that I spend a lot of time in odd positions, holding Sam on my hip, and rocking her and hunching over when I'm nursing her. I've spent some time on the foam roller the past few days and that has helped, thank goodness! I don't think I can stand many more days of not running! For my sanity, I plan to get out and run tomorrow morning before work. Hopefully all will feel good, and I'll be able to actually start doing the runs I have outlined in my training log!!

6 comments:

Scout said...

Hang in there. It's amazing how hard motherhood is on the body, but it builds an amazing strength,too.

Lots of people reading know why you run and know why you run long, but would be hard put to get it into words. You actually do a great job of getting lots of "it" down.

middle.professor said...

I second what Val said.

mindy said...

Val is smart - listen to Val! Sending you an email...

Sparkplug said...

Thanks guys :-) I appreciate it!

pathfinder said...

It is hard for me to complain about my own running when I read your blog and realize not only how difficult your journey is (so soon after pregnancy)but how well you done! I am in awe ..... yeah and Val IS smart

Sparkplug said...

Kevin, of course you can complain :-) That's what blogging (and friends) are for! Believe me, I know we all have our own issues to deal with and mine are no bigger than yours, just different! Hope you are still feeling good after Washington!