Friday, June 25, 2010

Blueberries

Sam was up at 5am this morning, but luckily went right back to sleep after I fed her. I took that as a sign that I should indeed go out for a short run! I snuck out onto the powerlines to do the 3 mile out-and-back down to Topsham Crossing. The hip felt a bit stiff in the first few steps but loosened up as I ran along, and boy did it feel good to be moving!

It was a gorgeous morning. A light fog lay over the ferns and low shrubs along the powerlines, and although it certainly was light out, the sun itself was just peeking above the trees as I ran through the shadows down by Topsham Crossing. A bullfrog croaked in the small marshy pond. A cardinal sat on the lines calling. A catbird hopped into the path, and the towhees, goldfinch and phoebes were all singing in the background. I stopped to eat a few of the ripe blueberries whose bushes sit in the bright sun all day long, the sweet taste of summer on my tongue as I continued running.

I smiled.

Now this, this is why I run :-)