Sunday, December 21, 2008

Winter Wonderland

Winter has truly arrived. We are in the midst of yet another snowstorm, and I got in my first ski of the season this morning!

I joined Nate, Shannon and little Finley for a trip to Pinelands. As we drove the backroads to New Gloucester, the trees were covered with snow and it looked very pretty. However, as soon as we were all geared up and Finley had on a million and one layers, the wind picked up, snow was falling and boy, was it chilly! It was the inaugural test of the Nordic Chariot, and well, let's just say it didn't go so well. Finley wouldn't wear his mittens, he was unhappy to be out in the cold and he sure didn't want to be strapped into this contraption! Poor kiddo. Hopefully next time will go a bit more smoothly!

Shannon took Finley inside, and Nate decided to go for a short spin down towards the river before going inside to look in on them. I was freezing and wanted to be out of the wind, and so I headed out across the street to Oak Hill, into the woods. Once I hit the shelter of the trees, I finally warmed up. The trails were in good shape, although with no tracks. I only passed two other people while I was out there, and enjoyed gliding along on the quiet trails now covered in a dusting of snow. As I skied along, I realized the snow was falling pretty hard, and when I headed back to the outdoor center I could hardly tell where the trail was. I kept going off course, sinking into the soft snow in the fields. When I looked in the bathroom mirror after I got in the building, I realized I was encrusted in snow and ice. What a morning!

No comments: