Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sunrise Run

What a difference a few days make! We are now squarely back into winter. Yesterday brought a few inches of snow, which is now covering the ground, making things look nice and festive. The storm also heralded in some colder temps.

I got up a bit early to do my core exercises (note to self: must do these more often!), and once the exercises were done, I decided to head on out. I ran across the street, and headed up the powerlines. As I crested the first hill, the sky was still dark, but hints of pink and orange were showing low along the horizon. It was 6:45 am and 12 degrees.

The 2" of snow on the powerlines was just enough to make things interesting. It was strange to sink through the snow into soft sand, and in the next step onto ice. But the Inov-8 screw shoes gripped well and I had no troubles. Once I turned off onto Highland Green Road, I was on pavement. The sidewalks had been plowed but there was still a coating of snow on them. I ran along, surprised to encounter a pair of runners out with their dog. I had expected to be the only crazy one out! :-) The snow made for some fun viewing of animal tracks - a big swath of turkey tracks, as well as deer and what was perhaps a fox? or raccoon?

At the back of the development, I was treated to a view of the sunrise. The sky had lightened and the colors were fiery. Here, the road turns to dirt, and as I headed up the hill, into the woods, the brilliant colors showing through the leaf-less trees, breathing in the cold and crisp air, I had to smile. What a way to start off the morning!

No comments: