Friday, December 26, 2008

Running, Walking and Birding

This morning, after a good night's sleep, Snowman and I headed out for a quick run before their tee-time. Unfortunately, Snowman made it about two steps before he turned around. His calf wasn't feeling any better, so he wished me a good run and headed back inside. It was around 48 degrees, overcast and a bit windy. All in all, pretty nice weather considering the last time I ran it was 5 degrees out!

I headed down the quiet streets, and took a path my parents had shown us yesterday afternoon during a short walk. The path ran along the edge of the development's property, through the woods and along several of the many ponds. It was nice to be out running, but I felt a bit sluggish and tight. Too much sitting and eating and not moving! During the run, I flushed up six bluebirds, along with sighting two great blue heron and many canadian geese. When I got back to my parent's house, I flushed up four meadowlarks as I slowly walked to the back to take in a better view of the Loggerhead Shrike that was sitting on one of the small trees at the edge of their yard. Pretty good birding for 35 minutes out and about!

My mom and I then joined Snowman and my dad for their first 9 holes of golf. I was much happier walking along, enjoying the scenery and the birds, than attempting to play what has to be the most frustrating game on earth! Noted a dozen cormorants roosting in a dead tree by one of the ponds, as well as several other bluebirds, many mockingbirds and a few blue jays. A red-shouldered hawk was a good spot by my dad, and the highlight for me was seeing a pair of ruby-crowned kinglets. Beautiful little birds! Also saw several Fox Squirrels along the course. What funny looking creatures :-)

3 comments:

middle.professor said...

Wow. Bluebirds, meadowlarks, and shrike - I don't see these often! Where in NC are you? I've been to far western NC quite a bit (generally west of Highlands/Cashiers but a little bit in the Asheville area as well). Beautiful, beautiful country. But the skiing sucks.

Sparkplug said...

Jeff,
My parents live in Wallace, about 50 minutes inland of Wilmington. Old pig farm country. It's pretty and the birding is great, but we could never live here... how could we survive winter with no snow! :-)

middle.professor said...

Is that old-pig farms or old pig-farms? I've not been to the NC coast at all. Closest is I-95, which I've driven up and down too many times. Skiing was good this morning but it's supposed to get to 55F in Pinkham notch tomorrow (only 50F at the coast). You may be playing golf up here when you return.