Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Highland Green x2

Got out on Monday morning for 5 miles on the long Highland Green loop. It was fairly balmy out, the sun was rising with a golden glow along the horizon and a big, glowing moon hung low in the sky. Gorgeous. The back dirt portion of the road wasn't plowed, so I just did an out and back. The roads were perfect for screwshoe running, but the powerline portion? Ugh. It was like snowshoeing without the buoyancy of snowshoes, sinking through the icy crust into sugar beneath.

This morning, I headed out under cover of darkness once again, wearing multiple layers. Warm hoodie. Two shirts. Warm running jacket. Two pairs of tights. Hat. Thick winter gloves. Buff. Wool socks. I felt a bit like the stay-puff marshmallow man :) Although it was cold, without any wind and with all my layers, I was pretty comfortable throughout the run. I ran out on the powerlines to Highland Green Road again. The back dirt portion was plowed, and was great running, so I was able to make a loop out of it this time around. Another 5 miles, with more miles than degrees for the day. Not so hard when it's only 4 degrees out, though ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it!! I ran 18 miles in 17 degrees yesterday and was MISERABLE! My hands and face were cold the entire time and my water froze (you can tell I don't have to deal with this weather often.) This morning it was 7 degrees. I couldn't bring myself to go out there knowing it would be even colder than the day before. Argh!! I eventually made it out for a run, but I HATE running later in the day. I guess I should be happy I have that option :) Maybe I should just buy warmer running clothes...