Sunday, August 31, 2014

Too Much Pavement

So, the past two weeks have been the "big" weeks so far in this slightly herky jerky training cycle of mine. And in those weeks of 40+ miles, maybe 5 or 6 each week have been on pavement. This week, in my 34 miles, I'd estimate conservatively that at least 24 miles were on pavement. Ouch. Although I love my Flites - they feel a bit like slippers - and my feet have felt fine all week, my hips are a bit cranky by today's run. Add in the humidity, and the fact that Sam hardly slept the past few nights, which means I have barely slept, and I was feeling a bit off during today's 5-mile run around the in-laws block. Still, I have to thank my lucky stars (and my legs) that I can run, so I will try hard not to complain too much :) That said, I am very much looking forward to a run on the Cathance trails tomorrow! Bring on the roots and the singletrack!

Yesterday, Sam and I had an early flight out of RDU up to Boston. Luckily, the travel went smoothly and as usual, she was a model traveling companion. Ryan picked us up at the airport and we spent the rest of the day with his family, celebrating his grandfather's 90th birthday. It was really nice that all of us could be together for such a milestone, and of course, Sam loved being able to play with her cousin! The cutest thing might have been that the second Gavin saw Sam, he reached for her to get a hug and then kept reaching his arms out to her for more. Adorable ;)

Hugs!

Celebrating Bampie's 90th

Bampie and the great-grandkids

No comments: