Saturday, August 2, 2014

Snowmobile Trail Run

I haven't been running much on the powerlines and the snowmobile trail this summer. So today, in an effort to get in a mellow run, I decided I'd run out toward the dump, as they always yield interesting flora and fauna. On this overcast, humid morning, I enjoyed the sweet scent of the ferns, the red berries of the bunchberries, the arrowhead blooming in the shallow marshy areas, the cotton sedge in the low lying area before Highland Road, and stopped a few times to pick blueberries, raspberries and blackberries along the edge of the trail. I saw one Towhee and heard several others, and also came across a group of about a dozen turkey, including two little ones that must have been born earlier this year. The powerlines are essentially flat and the wide snowmobile trails that connect out toward the dump are easy to run on, so despite keeping the pace mellow, I made fairly good time. Got in a nice 8.2 miles and felt pretty good.

No comments: