Saturday, March 8, 2014

Sunny and Warm Saturday Fun

What a beautiful day! I know there are likely a few cold days still to come, but today, it felt like spring, and oh man, did it feel good! Mom and Dad very nicely agreed to take Sam to swim lessons and entertain her until lunchtime so that Ryan could get over to Bradbury to mark the snowshoe course and get in his run, and I could run too. Thank you, thank you, Mom and Dad! We really appreciate it. It worked out perfectly. Sam had a great morning at swimming, got a yummy donut at Frosty's and went to the farmer's market with Mom and Dad. Ryan got the course marked and got in a run on the Beautiful Loop with John and Sean. And I got out for my run. I ran from the house to cut down on time spent driving, etc, and although I missed out on the company of friends, I did have a great run. The snowmobile trails had probably the best conditions all year, nice and firm but not icy, with a tacky surface that was perfect. As the morning progressed, the snow definitely got softer, especially in the sun, but it was still really nice running.

I ran the long Dump Loop, tacking on the extra lollypop out in the woods beyond the pond, and then adding on an out-and-back back at the powerlines before returning to the high school. From there, I headed back out to run the Lovers Lane Snowmobile loop that I've been running mid-week. It worked out perfectly and I got in 16 miles just as I turned onto our walkway, with the clock just a few seconds over 2:40. Felt fairly steady throughout, and had fun out there, just enjoying the trails as I ran along. Didn't see a soul except for one older gentlemen and his dog (not a Saint Bernard but something similar? Don't know my dog breeds...), who I saw three times! Ha. He thought I was nuts! Which I am, of course, but that's another story...

In any event, glad to have gotten in the miles and felt good doing it. On the flip side, this is likely going to mean tomorrow's snowshoe race hurts a little bit more, but hey...

By the time I was headed over to K&C's, Kristen and Morgan had arrived. Mom and Dad got all packed up - the week went by too quickly! - and we all headed over to Wolfe's Neck Farm. The girls had fun feeding the horses and the lambs, and we took a great walk in the woods. It was just so nice out!

Momma and baby taking a nap

Harley!

Feeding Harley

Feeding the lambs

Out for a walk in the woods

Neenie and the kids

Sam running on the way back

Sisters and cousins

We all came back to our house to hang out for a bit - the girls played while I baked up goodies for tomorrow's races - and have a yummy dinner of Flipside pizza. I'm pretty wooped, but it was a great way to spend a sunny and warm Saturday!

No comments: