Sunday, March 2, 2014

10 on the Roads

I really did have grand plans for a true long run today, but I woke up feeling not so great and trying to run 18 miles just seemed to spell disaster. I know there is a place for pushing through and getting the workout in, and perhaps I was being wimpy, but I was also trying to be realistic. I knew Ryan was planning on 10 miles, so I asked him if he wanted to run 10 on the roads with me. I figured I could pull that off, at least!

We weren't very quick to get ourselves out of the house and over to K&C's, but finally headed out from there around 11:30 for the run. Temps were in the low 30s but the wind made it feel much colder. The air had that raw feeling like it was going to snow, although that never materialized. I planned a route that involved a trip out to Simpson's Point, because, well, if you're going to run on the roads, the run might as well feature an ocean view :), and so we wandered out of town onto Maquoit, turned onto Rossmore and then to Simpson's Point. The wind seemed to be in our faces everywhere. Brrr... We stopped briefly to enjoy the view at the Point  - it was high tide and the cove was filled with water, not ice. Lots of ducks out there too - mergansers and others. Always a lovely spot.

Pennelville is beautiful but has a penchant for being windy. It certainly was today. I'm pretty sure Ryan was ready to be done at that point, and after yesterday's race and travel that was more than understandable, but we still had a few miles to go. My Garmin was reading a bit short once we got back to the house, so I did a few silly loops to even the run out to 10, and then, we were done. It was cold and windy and neither of us were feeling the most pepeey, but we managed a decent pace, and it was a fun way to catch up on the weekend's events!

We spent the rest of the day lounging around at K&C's with the family and enjoying a fun dinner with  Susie and Lillie too. Sam had a blast hanging out with Morgan and Lillie all afternoon, so it all worked out pretty well in the end.

No comments: