Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Full Sunday

We met up with our friends Doug, Lucy and their little boy Adam, plus Nate, Shannon, Finley and Charlotte, for a yummy breakfast at Broadway Deli this morning. It was great to see Doug and Lucy, whom we haven't seen in a year+, and meet Adam, and fun that between all of us we have three kids within 8 months of each other. As they get older, there should be some fun playtime between them all! We headed up to the Bowdoin quad after breakfast so the kids could run around and we could sit and chat in the sun. A nice morning!

After Sam went down for her nap, I headed out for my run. By this time, things were warming up and it was feeling a bit heavy out there. Not to mention I was running with a stomach full of pancakes and coffee. Hmmm. I hoped for 12, but figured I'd be happy with 9. I really love the Cathance trails, but today I just wasn't feeling all that happy out there. The deer flies were buzzing, the grasses seemed to have grown taller and more itchy even since last week's run, and I felt like I just wanted to run out of my skin to escape the itch! AIE! Then to make things worse, once I was back on the Mt. Ararat trails, I realized I really had to go to the bathroom, immediately! I ran right in the door to the bathroom, and then as soon as I came out, I ran right up to the shower to wash the itch off my legs. I did manage to get in 9 miles, but it wasn't the prettiest run. Ah well. Better luck tomorrow, I hope!

I did have a few good flora and fauna sightings today. When I got down to the river, I scared up a cormorant. His wings flapped the water a number of times beyond he lifted up just enough to fly along silently in the distance. Along the Ravine Loop, my favorite stretch of trail out there, I heard a woodpecker calling. I looked up, and noticed a female Hairy Woodpecker moving around on a low branch of a nearby tree. I stopped for a bit, enjoying the close-up view. I also spotted a few little turtles sunning themselves on a log in the water. Also noticed a few wild calla lilies along the bog bridge near the Heath. Cool!

After Sam woke up, she and I ran around outside, stomping in the puddles, and then we all played in the sandbox.

I want to go back in the sandbox, Mom!
When we came inside, she was covered in sand, so we changed her into this adorable, but huge, handmade dress that Cordelia had bought for her down in New York this spring. It looks a bit like a mumu, but very cute :-) Here are a few shots of her in the dress, coloring. She is very into her crayons these days!
Coloring

Lying down on the job :-)

Sam in her mumu :-)

No comments: