Thursday, June 23, 2011

Evening Run

I am not an evening runner. But I neglected to get up this morning before Sam awoke and run, and since I had to get up to work by 9am, I didn't have time after I dropped her off at daycare. So, the choices were, run tomorrow and Saturday, or run when I got home from work tonight, run tomorrow and then take Saturday off. There is certainly time for me to run on Saturday, but we're into our longer summer hours at work and while my 9:00 or 9:30 to 5:30 workday certainly isn't a long day compared to some, when you factor in travel time, and the fact that I drop Sam off at daycare around 8:00 during the week, it means I have 1 to 1 1/2 hours with her in the morning, and then 45 minutes in the evening if I'm lucky. Yes, she goes to bed early, but it is her choice, and I am not going to keep her up late just so I can spend more time with her. So, on Saturday, if I don't have to run and I don't have to drop her at daycare, I can spend an extra hour or so with her. And that, really, is time better spent than me taking that time for a run. And so, all of this means, that tonight, a little after 7pm, right after I put Sam to bed, I laced up my shoes and headed out the door.

I ran yesterday's loop through Highland Green, but in reverse. The sky was overcast, and the woods and roads were quiet. My mind wandered. Where was that singletrack that Ryan had found today? I didn't see the entrance. Hmmm, this stretch of dirt road is awfully downhill in this direction. Wow, there are a lot of slugs on the ground. Neat - what a pretty patch of black-eyed susans on the sidehill. Hadn't noticed those iris before. Hi phoebe bird. Let's pick up the pace now, getting hungry. It's awfully quiet out here. I wish I had the money to buy that nice Zorach "Wood Lily" watercolor. I wonder when the wood lily along the powerlines will be out? The air smells nice. No wonder Sam hasn't been sleeping well. Wow, that was a lot of teeth coming in! Almost done. Whew. Finished. Time for dinner! :-)

No comments: