Monday, February 8, 2010

Windy Nine

It was a bright, sunshiney and warm day for my long run. It was also really windy. I guess that's what I get for doing my long run on the roads down to the ocean. Simpson's Point was very pretty though, with the sun glinting off the ice and a group of black ducks flying low over the frozen bay at low tide.

As the weeks go on, my threshold for getting tired during these longer runs is stretching out. When I first started back up, I could feel the tiredness seeping into my legs around 30 minutes. Then it stretched to 40 or 45. Today I felt strong, despite the wind, until right around an hour. At that point, I was pretty ready to be done, if only to escape the ever-present wind in my face. I pushed as hard as I could through the last miles, and manged to finish up in 1:19:07 / 8:47 pace. I'll take it! (Special thanks to Ryan for watching the little lady while I was out running. It is nice to have a supportive partner in this whole 'return to training' thing - makes it much easier!!)

Speaking of Ryan, I could not convince him that we should go out to eat for his birthday today. Not breakfast. Not lunch. Not dinner. Not anything. What a stinker! He really is turning into an old fart :-)

4 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

After that run, I think it's safe to say you're no longer "returning" to training, but instead "are" training.

You and Ryan seem to have great teamwork going to allow one another to train... awesome!

Scout said...

I think you could write about on running after baby. Awesome!

sn0m8n said...

My wife kicks ass.

Sparkplug said...

Thanks guys! :-)