Sunday, February 21, 2010

Weekend Fun

Saturday morning we were up bright and early so that I could head over to Valerie's for her "All I Want for my Birthday is a Fat Ass" event. It was a beautiful morning, warm and sunny with no wind. Of course, this meant that the conditions were a bit variable out on the course, but it was certainly a nice day to be outside! There was quite a crowd gathered outside Val and Linda's homes, chatting and drinking coffee and gearing up for the run. The 5 mile loop took us through multiple fields around the area, which made for some tough going on the ankles as without decent snowcover, the terrain was a mix of frozen chunks of field grasses, mud, ice and occasional soft snow.

We all headed out together, but the group quickly spread out as people found their own rhythms. I started out running next to Ian and Blaine, and soon realized there was no way I was going to keep up with them! I dropped back to chat with Kevin for a few minutes, and then got into a groove where I was running with Rick, his friend Steve, and his brother-in-law, in from Colorado to join in on the fun. By the end, I was running with Randy, who had run out to join us late in the game. We had a good time chatting as we wound through the fields, and I was happy to finish up the 5.1 mile loop in 49:27. Always easier to go faster when you're having fun talking away as you run :-)

By the time we got back to the house, Ryan had arrived with Sam, so I took over on parenting duties while he took off for his 3 loops (he's training for something, I'd say :-) ). I hung out for a while, but soon it was time to take off for event #2 on the schedule for the day - lunch with Doug, Lucy, Neal, Kendra and Peyron, who had come up to visit. I was sorry to leave the fun of the Fat Ass, but had a great time! Thanks to Val and Rick for hosting! Always fun to hang out with the Trail Monsters :-)

After lunch and a nice afternoon hanging out with our friends, we agreed to cap off the weekend by meeting for breakfast this morning at Broadway Deli, which is always a good thing! I love breakfast out! Once again Sam sat in her BebePod on the table, entertaining us all (and the staff!) with her antics and smile. It was nice to have a chance to show her off to our friends this weekend and to catch up with everyone! After breakfast, we headed home, where Sam nicely took a 1 1/2 hour nap and woke up nice and happy for some playtime!


Happy playtime!

Due to the weight of the fruit pancakes sitting in my belly, I didn't get out for my run until late this afternoon, but got in a decent 5 miler over in Highland Green.

So, all in all, a great weekend and some good running too. The only downside to the weekend is that I am currently writing this post from Ryan's computer, as my laptop has officially died. Dead. Gone. Caput. Not good. Looks like it's time for a new computer...

1 comment: