Sunday, February 28, 2010

Not Something You See Every Day

Today, we were trying to cram in my run, Ryan's long run, a trip to the Apple store, Sam's Club and Babies R Us, so I was on the docket for an early morning run. I headed out around 8:15am after I put Sam down for her morning nap. She was up at 6am again, cooing and babbling in her crib. I didn't go in and get her until around 6:15am, at which time I found her with both her arms out of the swaddle, smiling away. As I needed to be back in time for Ryan to get out the door to head to Portland for all the above errands, I just decided to head back across the street and do loops on the High School road. Not very exciting, but hey. The roads were a bit sloppy, but it was sure pretty out, with the heavy snow coating the trees. As I was heading down Canam Drive toward Rt. 201 on my second loop, I noticed a big group of people filing by. I wasn't quite sure what was going on, but as I got closer I realized it was an Army platoon, dressed in full gear with big packs and guns, walking by. There must have been over 100 of them. And I was going to have to run by them all. This is not something you do every day!

As I passed the few back-of-the-pack stragglers, I said "Morning" to each one, but as I got up next to the main group, with the leaders yelling at the troops and the men/women, 3 or 4 wide, walking down the side of the road, I just lowered my head, picked up the pace and trucked on by. I can't imagine what they were thinking, watching this little women in red gloves run by them down the middle of the road, bright and early on a Sunday morning, during their training walk/run. It did make me run faster though, I must say! And more power to them all for walking who knows how far in those heavy boots, with heavy packs and guns! I was glad to just have one more lap to go to finish off my morning workout :-)

In Sam news, yesterday while I was at work and Ryan was watching her for the day, she finally rolled over from the back to her tummy. She's been working on it all week, getting most of the way, but getting stuck on that one pesky arm tucked under her torso. I was sad to miss it, but this morning while we were hanging out before my run, she rolled over several times. She seemed very proud of herself for doing so :-)

No comments: