Sunday, February 14, 2010

10 Miles and a Happy Baby

After being a disaster for Ryan while he was watching her yesterday, Sam was back to her happy self today, thank goodness! It's amazing what getting some good sleep will do! This morning, we spent some time playing and squirming around on her mat, where she rolled over twice, and then after her morning nap, I suited up and headed out for my long run around 10:30 am. I'm very loosely following a marathon plan - a mix of Hal Higdon, Runner's World and my own ideas on what works for me and with my schedule at the moment - in the hopes that I might be ready to run the 50k at Pineland this spring, so the schedule called for a 10 mile run today. Ideally, in preparation for a trail 50k, I should be doing my long runs on the trails, but that just wasn't in the cards for today. A road run through Brunswick would have to do.

I ran down to Maquoit Bay, where the ice was jumbled up in the bay and a murder of crows was crowing overhead. It was sunny and warm, and although a bit windy, I was feeling good. In fact, I was running a bit too fast. Not that I am "fast" per say, but I realize that most training plans would have me doing my long runs at a slightly slower pace than I tend to run. On the other hand, it's nice to know that I can keep up a decent pace and I figured it must be a good indicator of how things are progressing if I can crank out 8:41 pace on a 10 mile road run. So I won't complain, although my legs might be tomorrow morning :-)

This evening, Sam was in "baby jail," and was working on grabbing the links pictured below. She sure looks surrounded by lots of crazily colored toys, that's for sure! Talk about stimulation :-)


I can grab those!