Sunday, December 16, 2018

Rest of the Weekend

It was so nice out on Saturday that after lunch, I decided we should get outside! So much more fun than wrapping Christmas presents 😀🎄🎅

We headed over to the Cathance so that Ryan and Sam could see all the cool ice formations along the river, and it did not disappoint. As always, I feel so lucky that we have such a neat trail system so close to home that offers such interesting diversity in terrain and habitat 💗 (1.4 miles walked)


Sun over the vernal pool







Such cool ice formations!

And a lot of hoar frost too!

After we got back from our walk, we did indeed sit down and proceed with the wrapping. Gotta get it done! But it was lovely to get out on such a nice afternoon together!

This morning, Sam had a rare Sunday swim meet. Warm-ups started at 8:45, and although I had originally been thinking of running before we left and despite getting up with my alarm way too early, I ended up deciding to just have a relaxing morning by the Christmas tree drinking coffee and not rushing around to get my run in and things organized before we had to leave the house. And since Sam's first event ended up not being until 10:40 anyway, I had more than enough time to run from the Y! Perfect. It was a nice sunny morning with temps in the high 20s and I decided I'd chance it and run up High Street to Thorne Head and hope I could make my way up to the viewpoint in my road shoes. In the end, I needn't have worried as the double track trail/road was essentially bare up to the viewpoint, with only a few very avoidable small ribbons of ice in the middle of the trail. I stopped at the top to enjoy the view out over the river and then made my way back to the Y. The route seemed as if it was all uphill on the way to Thorne Head and downhill on the way back, so I ended with a few fairly quick final miles. Then it was onto a few hours of sitting around and watching Sam and her teammates swim! (6.0 miles)



No comments: