Monday, December 24, 2018

Gardens Aglow and Other Fun

Sunday morning, I headed out onto the trails to check out conditions in the Cathance. I had my Hillsounds in my pockets, but they ended up staying in there the whole run. There were a few patches of ice here and there, but nothing that wasn't easy to maneuver around, and things were pretty much down to 100% bare ground. Crazy. It was a bright and cold morning, and I enjoyed my meander along the river, which was running quite high and flowing very nicely after the rain and snow melt, even flooding up onto the trail in one spot. (6.0 miles)

Frozen Heath

So much water

A few slushy ice pancakes floating along the river


Flooded trail

I love this spot 💗


When I got home, Mom and Sam were back at the gingerbread house decorating already, putting the finishing touches on their creation!





Complete with gum drop giants, penguins and a frog on the roof 😀



Such a fun project!

Gigi guarding the house 😂

Later in the afternoon, Sam went over to one of her friend's house for a Christmas present swap and cupcake decorating while Mom and I worked on some cooking at home, getting the sauce made for the Christmas lasagna and making up some booze brownies (because it's Christmas after all 😉😋), and then right after the party, it was off to Boothbay to the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens for Gardens Aglow! Mom and Dad have taken Sam in past years but this is the first time Ryan and I have joined in. It truly was spectacular! I took way too many photos but I just loved the designs and color schemes, and we were treated to a natural sunset highlighted by the colorful lights too, which was an extra treat. It was about 30 degrees, so cold enough that we all had on a ton of layers and had to go inside once to warm up, but it was a lovely night to walk around and enjoy the lights! Definitely worth the trip!






Sam got popcorn, of course 😉

Lights frozen in one of the ponds




I loved these shimmering lights along the stream






Sunset through the lighted trees. So beautiful.






Pink lights and hydrangea flowers



















Inside warming up!


The reflections on the frozen water were extra enchanting

Rope bridge by night














The Aurora Borealis, something like 10,000 lights, changing and shimmering and set to music. Really pretty.




We finished up the evening with soup at Little Saigon, the perfect way to warm up after 2 hours spent outside! A great night!

No comments: