Sunday, April 3, 2016

Back to Sleep

Thankfully, Sam did great at the sleepover at Anne's on Friday night and there were no middle of the night calls to come pick her up :) I got up early to get in a run, heading out when it got light at 6:30 for a 5+ mile run down to the river and back. It was warm and almost clammy feeling out. Lots of moisture in the air, that's for sure, and slick roots and bog bridges to go with it. Lots of birdsong too, although the woods are still not yet quite looking spring-like.

Ryan headed out for his long run, and I picked up Sam around 8:15 and we went to get donuts before heading to swimming. Ryan got in an awesome 23 mile run at the Brad while Sam and I shopped for snazzy new sneakers for her, did our weekly Target run and went out to lunch, just the two of us. We finished off the day with dinner at Nate, Shannon and family's house, and Sam had a lot of fun playing with their new little kitten! So cute! Needless to say, Sam had had her share of excitement over the past 24 hours and fell asleep the minute her head hit the pillow :)

I fully intended to get up and go over to the Brad for a long run this morning, but even though I got up, got dressed and had breakfast, what I ended up doing was not going out the door at 6:30 am, but getting back into bed! I was stressed, exhausted and feeling seriously underwhelmed by the prospect of my run, and apparently, I must have needed a quiet morning, as I fell asleep for 2+ more hours! I felt so much better when I woke up and was glad I listened to my body and decided on rest vs. miles. So, it was a lazy morning at our house, with everyone sleeping until around 8:45. It was actually really kind of nice, as it's not the sort of thing we do often. Ryan made pancakes and we played a few games, and then it was time for Sam to head off to her friend's birthday party. Since Ryan was already planning on going with her, I took advantage of that and decided I would go out for a short run in the Cathance. The wind was whipping around like crazy but I was mostly protected down in the woods. I ran from the ecology center along the river and out to the Blueberry Trail, then headed back and finished up with a loop on the Heath Trail for exactly 6 miles. Perfect.

And hopefully this means I'll be ready to roll next Saturday to get in a final long run before Grayson Highlands! Hard to believe it's April and the 50k is around the corner!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

D, I know you will have a great run!