Sunday, February 24, 2013

Winter Wonderland

We awoke to snow this morning. Seems like the theme for the weekends this month! Unlike the snowstorm the weekend of the White Out, this snow is wetter and it's warmer out, so the snow was sticking to everything and coating the trees with what looked like a layer of frosting. Very pretty.

I headed out around 8:00 am for my run, onto the quiet streets and across to the untracked snow along the powerlines. There was probably about 3" or 4" of fresh snow on the ground, not so much that running in screwshoes was too cumbersome, and just enough that it made for a great tacky surface atop any icy spots. I ran up and over Mt. Ararat and out onto Highland Green Road. I turned off the road onto the Heath Trail, enjoying the singletrack that wound through the woods. The heavy snow meant that I got a few facefuls of snow from low-hanging pine trees along the way :-) Ha. I crossed the street and went down past the ecology center to the river. The charcoal colored river contrasted nicely with the pristine snow-covered rocks and the snow-laden trees. Beautiful. And I had the whole place to myself. Hard to complain about that.

Made my way back along the Heath and up to the top of Mt. Ararat, and thoroughly enjoyed running down through the fresh snow on the other side, whooping and smiling the whole way. Probably the most fun I've had on a downhill in a long while :-)

Got in 5.15 miles and came home to a yummy breakfast of pancakes. The perfect start to a snowy Sunday!

No comments: