Friday, February 22, 2013

Short and Rushed

Nobody wanted to get out of bed this morning. I was the first one up around 6:15, padding downstairs to start the coffee and feed the cats. Sam started to make noise around 6:30 but when I went up, the first thing she said was "Mama, I had a good sleep, but I'm still sleepy. Will you get in bed and lay here with me for a while?" So, I climbed in with her and we cuddled together for a long while, her little hands playing with my hair, my arm wrapped around her, her little eyes closed in a hopeful attempt at more rest. We finally got up around 7:00, at which point she promptly chose the longest book on her bookshelf, asking me to read it to her while we ate our breakfast on the couch. I had planned to get out the door at 7:30 at the latest in order to get in 5 miles before I had to leave the house at 8:40, but who can resist a cute, tired, little girl who wants to be read to? Not me, at least :-) Ryan finally hustled me out the door at 7:45 as he rushed to make his smoothie and finish getting Sam ready to take to daycare.

I headed out onto the powerlines, hoping I could get my run in on the trails, but honestly, the conditions just weren't nice enough to lure me in, as the trail was mostly ice, with a few bare patches in between. It was slow going too, which just made me feel stressed since I knew I was short on time. So I turned off onto Highland Green Road and simply ran the 3-mile loop instead. The short stretch through the woods connecting Mountain Road to Canam Drive was nice, as it had been groomed for skiing sometime earlier in the week and shaded by the trees, so wasn't quite as sketchy as the powerlines.

I really should have gotten in a longer run this morning, but alas... I have been feeling good, though, so I think I'll just plan to get in another shortish run tomorrow morning before taking Sam to Tumble Time. That should bring the weekly mileage up to a decent count, and it can't hurt to run 6 days during the week every once in a while, right?

1 comment:

sn0m8n said...

I like the autobiographical title.